Sunday, November 20, 2011

Nonverbal Communication in Parenting

I was hanging out with my Aunt and Uncle and my little cousins this weekend and it got me thinking about how much nonverbal communication plays a role in parenting. I have four little cousins. A ten, eight, five, and four year old. These kids are crazy, but also a lot of fun!

The reason I bring this up is because while we were at dinner last night (Saturday) the kids were being a little wild. My Aunt and Uncle didn't want to yell at the kids or embarass themselves in the restaraunt so instead they would just look at my little cousins in a certain way and they would know they were in trouble! These facial expressions are something that growing up my little cousins picked up on and now it's to the point where a simple facial expression can scare them just as much as a stern talking to.

I found this very interesting because to this day, I can tell how my mom feels about something I told her or I've done just by the look on her face. Anyone else feel this same way?

1 comment:

  1. This is funny, I definitely agree with this! I feel the same way when I babysit now, whenever I am babysitting a family of kids and they are not behaving how they need to be, I always just give them that look of disappointment and they always seem to straighten right up. I assume from that point that their parents do the same thing to non-verbally punish them too!

    ReplyDelete