Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Expressing Emotion through Nonverbal Communication in Interviews

I recently went through a mock interview on campus. Talk about 'nonverbal communication'! The goal of this interview was for the interviewer to "nit-pick" at every nonverbal action I was putting forward.

Things such as nervousness, anxiety, deception, and confidence are all things that are noticed in an interview by the interviewer. I was told that it was extremely obvious when I was confident with my answer and when I wasn't. I was told I had great posture, eye contact, and poise when I was confident and felt strongly about my answer. On the flip side I was critiqued for looking down, looking to the left, speaking at an increased rate, and squirming a bit in my chair.

Good thing this was a 'mock' interview because they pointed out many things that I was doing to effect the emotion of my answer through my nonverbal actions. Has anyone been through something like this where one person watches you and 'nit-picks' at your nonverbal actions?

No comments:

Post a Comment